Contact us at email@example.com for help for technical issues such as:
- Assistance resetting passwords
- Network outages
- Trouble logging in or accessing your domain
- URLs don’t resolve
- PHP errors in an installation
- Server is slow or not responding
- Application errors when attempting to signup or install software
Some useful tips for new users:
- Choose your subdomain URL carefully. You cannot change this URL after it’s created. Think of it as the place where you’ll keep all of your sites. For example, don’t name your site fall2016course.hosting.nyu.edu if you plan to offer the course again in 2017.
- All new users are emailed their SSH and FTP credentials immediately after creating the URL for their site. Sometimes this email goes to the spam folder. Check there for an email with the subject line “New Account Information” and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you still can’t locate this information.
- If you plan to install two or more content management systems (e.g. Omeka and WordPress), leave the root folder empty and install the CMS’s in subfolders. For example, if you want to install Omeka and WordPress, rather than installing Omeka in the root folder at mysite.hosting.nyu.edu and WordPress in a subfolder at mysite.hosting.nyu.edu, it is better to keep mysite.hosting.nyu.edu empty and install Omeka in mysite.hosting.nyu.edu/omeka and WordPress in mysite.hosting.nyu.edu/wordpress.
Getting help with…
Although we cannot provide technical support for issues related to website customizations (e.g., database design, coding/scripting problems, customizing themes, PHP or CSS modification), you can find lots of support materials on the web, including:
Our vendor, Reclaim Hosting, provides robust documentation on a variety of topics. We recommend that users become familiar with these forums. There is an active community of scholars on these forums and we encourage you to post questions and participate in relevant conversations.
Particularly useful guides include:
- Client Area and cPanel Basics
- Understanding Folder Structures in cPanel
- Generating a Backup
- Managing SSH Keys on Reclaim Hosting video
- Uploading Files to your Reclaim Hosting Account
- See Reclaim Hosting’s Omeka section on Documentation for Reclaim Hosting.
- Omeka’s own documentation (Note: skip all information on Omeka installation since Reclaim gives you one-click install via its c-panel.)
- Miriam Posner’s Creating an Omeka Exhibit
- Try Omeka’s active Omeka Support Forums.
- Subscribe and post to Omeka’s dev list.
- Join the NYCDH Omeka Forum.
Help with other cPanel tools and methods (e.g., MySQL, PHP, FTP, CSS)
- Search the cPanel documentation for more information on how to use the various features.
- Search for the tool or method in lynda.com via the NYU Home Academics tab. If you’re just getting started, try:
- Search for support forums, for example:
- Try Google: Search for the phrase “getting started” and your tool or method name in Google.